Over time, the oven shelves/rack are covered with grease, dirt, and baking products. Here are some (relatively) painless ways to make them clean and shiny again
Is there anything bad or ugly other than a dirty oven?
If you use the headset at all, it is most likely that cooked fat, sticky dirt, and burned chunks will accumulate, maybe not today or tomorrow, but someday.
While many owners are fortunate enough to love a self-cleaning oven, that comfort comes with an outcome. After a while, the self-cleaning functionality ends up damaging the shelves.
To prolong your life, it is recommended that, when possible, clean the shelves from the old oven.
Fortunately, using any of the following methods to clean the oven shelves, you can do the job quickly and with a minimum of hassle.
How to clean the oven shelves in the bathtub
- Fill the bath with very hot water, just enough to cover the oven shelves. Add up to half of Cup of dishwashing soap (or up to 3/4 Cup of laundry detergent). Let’s sit at night.
- Alternatively: Sprinkle baking soda on the oven shelves, then wipe them with vinegar. Once foaming stops, immerse the shelves in a whirlpool and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, rub the shelves with an old towel to remove grease and dirt, and use an old toothbrush to dislodge any baked dirt. For the really stubborn pieces, add salt to the toothbrush to make the exfoliator more abrasive. Then wash the racks thoroughly before returning them to the oven.
How to clean the oven shelves using a garbage bag
- Place the oven shelves in an unused trash bag. Add 1/2 liters of ammonia. Seal the bag and let it stand overnight.
- Open the bag in the morning and as long as it’s in it, open a window, too. Additional ventilation is required for the remaining ammonia vapors of a night’s cleaning of the oven shelves. Rinse the racks thoroughly and replace.
How to clean oven shelves with commercial cleaners
- Because many commercial cleaning products produce toxic fumes, clean the oven shelves outdoors If you plan to use one. Try charcoal Biodegradable oven cleaner If you prefer to use a non-toxic, environmentally friendly alternative.
- Cover a work surface with plastic sheets or newspapers. Pour the oven shelves into a single layer.
Put on the rubber gloves, then spray the generous oven cleaner into the racks. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
Rub the racks or with an old cloth or toothbrush. Rinsing thoroughly with a garden hose before replacing.