Drunken Shrimp. Stir in the beer, ketchup, and sugar, and bring the sauce to a boil. Add the shrimp, Essence, salt, lemon juice,& whiskey to the pan and cook until the shrimp are pink. My favorite way to eat drunken shrimp is in a bowl with a crusty piece of bread to dip in the sauce.Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sear for. The only times I've had "Drunken Shrimp" (which were in Hong Kong and Mainland China), the Shrimp were still alive, which is how they got drunk, when drowned in Wine. and then Eaten ALIVE!!. You can have Drunken Shrimp using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Drunken Shrimp
- It's 1 lb. of cooked shrimp (cleaned).
- It's 1 TBS. of Creole or Cajun seasoning.
- It's 1 of shallot, minced.
- Prepare 1/2 stick of butter (4 TBS.).
- It's 2 TBS. of bourbon.
- Prepare 1 TBS. of cooking sherry.
- It's 1/2 cup of beef broth.
- It's 1 cup of heavy cream.
- It's 2 tsp. of Tarragon.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
- It's Loaf of crusty bread (warmed, if desired).
It was the best meal we had while on this beach trip. Wait staff was friendly and checked on us several times. If you're curious to try these for yourself but aren't in China, there may be a restaurant in your area that carries some variation of the live drunken shrimp. Drunken shrimp is a popular dish in parts of China based on freshwater shrimp that are sometimes eaten cooked or raw.
Drunken Shrimp instructions
- Season shrimp with the Creole or Cajun seasoning and set aside..
- In a frying pan over med-hi heat, sautee shallots in butter until softened..
- Stir in bourbon, until warmed. Add heavy cream. Stir until thickened..
- Add in the tarragon, salt and pepper. Stir until all combined..
- Add in the beef broth and sherry and stir until heated through..
- Add in shrimp until thoroughly heated, about 3 minutes..
- Remove to bowl and serve with warm crusty bread..
The shrimp are immersed in liquor to make consumption easier. Different parts of China have different recipes for the dish. Add all ingredients, except shrimp and garnishes to a large saucepan on high heat. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Place shrimp on a medium baking sheet and toss with oil.