Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli.
You can cook Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli using 19 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli
- You need 1 lb of butter beans (baby limas), soaked overnight.
- Prepare of Salt, lots of salt.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- You need of Black pepper.
- Prepare 1 of lemon.
- You need 1 bunch of rosemary.
- You need 1 bunch of mint.
- It's 2 bunches of oregano.
- Prepare 1.5 cups of rendered fat.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of sherry vinegar.
- Prepare 1 bunch of greens (turnip, mustard, kale).
- It's of Toasted Bread.
- Prepare 1 loaf of crusty bread, ripped into small pieces.
- It's 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare of Garlic Lemon Aioli.
- It's 1 of egg yolk.
- It's 1 of garlic clove, grated.
- You need 1/2 of lemon, juiced.
- Prepare 1 cup of olive oil.
Rich Butter Beans with Greens, Toasted Bread, and Aioli instructions
- Soak the beans in salted water over night. They can be in the pot you cook the beans in. Bring the beans and the garlic to a rolling boil over high heat. Turn the heat off and skim the foam off..
- Heat a dry skillet over high heat. Sear the lemon halves face down.
- Bring the beans to another boil and skim once more..
- Wrap the herbs (minus some oregano) in butcher twine to keep them together. Add the herbs, the lemons, pepper, and the fat to the beans. You want enough fat to cover the the liquid completely. Make up any lack of fat with olive oil. Add some salt..
- Reduce the heat to the lowest possible to maintain a few faint bubbles every few minutes. Slow simmer for at least an hour...maybe 3 until the beans are tender. Continually taste the liquid as they cook adding salt to taste. You may be surprised how much salt they can take..
- When the beans are done, remove the herb bundle, add the sherry vinegar and the extra oregano sprig. Salt if needed. Cook at the same bare simmer for 10-20 min..
- Stem the greens and wash to remove sand. Remove the last oregano sprig. Turn the heat off and add the greens..
- Tear the bread into small pieces. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the bread and toss until crispy. Season with salt..
- Prepare the aioli. Add the yolk to a bowl. Juice a half lemon and grate a garlic clove. Add the 1 ish cup of olive oil, 1 drop at a time, to the yolk mix. Whisking to incorporate until a lose mayo forms..
- Scoop the beans into a deep bowl, dollop with aioli and then garnish with the toasted bread..